Friday, January 30, 2009

Apple Asiago Pie?

Pie
Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
all at once o well it's pie
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
an' wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie
Me o my
I love pie





I know most everyone loves eating pie, but most everyone hates making it....Well I do NOT love eating pie at all. There's nothing worse than cooked fruit, or icky custard type fillings, and soggy crust, heck I don't even like the crust if it isn't soggy. Baking a pie on the other hand I LOVEEE doing. There's nothing better than making pie crust, getting everything nice and cold, cutting in the butter, adding the right amount of ice water. I've been told it's a hard thing to make, and most people don't like doing it. I'll never understand why people think it's such a hard thing to do. It's like second nature to me, i could probably do it blind folded, one hand tied behind my back.
Pretty much anything can be made into pie, well ANYTHING could be made into a pie if you really wanted to but.... Fruit pies, and custard filled pies usually go over the best. So pick a flavor, the next hardest decision, top with pie crust, open faced, or crumb topping?
I am best known for my Asiago Apple Pie. Yes, that's right, apple pie with an asiago cheese crumb topping. There's no real recipe, it's yet another one that comes from my head. It's one of the most carried on recipes from the waterbarge days. Did you know (?) it takes 10 regular sized apples to fill a pie, And if you stand your apple right side up, peel it verticaly beacuse it won't turn brown, at least not nearly as fast if you peel it round ways.
I am not going to give out "my recipe" for this pie, but just basic pie steps... If you would like a real recipe for this pie feel free to e-mail me at ki13wi@aol.com, or if you don't want to make one, but you want to eat one... use the same e-mail.

-Make your dough. Use your favorite pie dough recipe, if you do not have one try this site, i've used it before, i've heard it's pretty darn good crust.
-peel, core and slice your apples, coat with cinn. and sugar, dash of nutmeg and ginger.
-make a basic crumb topping, brown sugar, flour, butter, add grated asiago cheese.
- Blind bake your pie crust.
- par cook your seasoned apples
- fill crust with apples, top with crumb topping
- cook until golden brown on top, or until you smell asiago cheese.
- Enjoy!
A-la-modie even if you like.

No comments: